This is the second course of a two-course series where Dr. Heiser builds on the meta-narrative and supernatural concepts of Unseen Realm 101. He tackles those hard-to-understand verses and stories of the New Testament and shows you how they fit together in God’s bigger story. The course covers Chapters 22-42 of the The Unseen Realm: Recovering the supernatural Worldview of the Bible with the focus on examining the ancient context of Scripture and explaining how its supernatural worldview can help us grow in our understanding of God. Special attention is given to the following concepts:
- Eschatological Son of Man
- Believer's as sacred space
- Cosmic geography in the Gospels
- How Jesus' birth, life and ministry reverses the three rebellions
- Spiritual warfare in light of the Great Commission
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Explain the supernatural-theological rationale in Israel's conquest of Canaan.
- Discern how the divine council worldview provides a framework for the prophets’ ministry.
- Explain the divine council context of Daniel 7 and the Son of Man and how that determines Christology and Old Testament Godhead theology.
- Discern the cryptic nature of the ultimate mission of the Messiah in the first advent.
- Describe how Christ's ministry targeted the three supernatural-human rebellions described in Genesis 1-11.
- Explain how the Church, the Body of Christ, and its ordinances repurpose Old Testament concepts of sacred space, holy priesthood, and cosmic geography.
- Discern how the divine council worldview impacts eschatology, the Day of the Lord, and the restoration of Eden on a new earth.
This course is administered through the learning management system Brightspace. It is online and self-paced. You have access to the course from Aug 16 to Jan 02 (20 weeks) and are expected to complete the course within that timeframe.
Hardware: A personal computer or mobile device with reliable Internet access is required for this course.
Software: The ASOT Logos 9 Student Package is used in this course. Adobe Acrobat Reader is recommended for this course.
Instructional: The instructional material required for this course are included in enrollment. The primary instructional materials are the following books by Dr. Heiser:
- The Unseen Realm: Recovering the Supernatural Worldview of the Bible
- Supernatural: What the Bible Teaches about the Unseen World and Why It Matters
- Demons: What the Bible Really Says About the Powers of Darkness
- Reversing Hermon: Enoch, The Watchers & The Forgotten Mission of Jesus Christ
- What Does God Want?
You access them through the Logos Library. In addition, supplemental instructional material is provided to you in the course through URLS or in PDF format.
Unseen Realm 101; A general knowledge of biblical theology terms and language is benefical in this course. This list of biblical and theological terms may be used as a resource as you go through this course.